Thursday, May 24, 2007

Starting Over

Over the weekend Cora's mom's house burnt down. Ever since Saturday I have been thinking about starting over, how does one rebuild, start over or move on at the age of 75? For that matter how do we start over when we are young. I thank God that Jeanette (or" Ma" as we call her) is alive. She is so strong and brave, and honestly I think that is how she will get through all of this. But how important are our things? Can we replace our house, of course we can, can we buy a new floral couch and all new linens, of course we can. But there are things we can't replace such as our pictures, our keepsakes from when the kids are young or the memories that make our house a home. "Ma's" tragedy has remined me of what is important in this world... not the things we can replace but the things we can't. Maybe I will be more careful the next time I dump the kids artwork from school or throw away their "treasures." How blessed am I to have wonderful (most of the time) kids who want to bring their mommy gifts, or a husband who buys me a rose while on vacation. I am thankful for the reminder.

On a lighter note....

"Your next American Idol is... Jordin Sparks!" I was excited, or as excited as I could be at 10:15pm, that Jordin won. Of course the boys in my house were disappointed that Blake lost, but you can't win them all. I hope that the pressures of being the "American Idol" will not change Jordin into a "hollywood" type. I'm sure we will be buying the American Idol CD in addition to the Blake Lewis CD soon enough.

0 comments: